SYNOPSIS: The twisting, turning, stranger-than-fiction true story of the Brobergs, a naive, church-going Idaho family that fell under the spell of a sociopathic neighbor with designs on their twelve-year-old daughter. – via IMDB
WTF?? No, really, wtf????? I cannot write a legitimate review. I just have questions. Questions like who the fuck:
- Lets some manky dude sleep in the bed with their daughter for months?
- Gave the kids back to these obviously negligent parents?
- Starts banging the man that abducted their 12 year old (whom the abductor then marries and refuses to return her back home)?
- Lets a man get away with this to harm their own daughter more and other girls because of wanking someone off?
- Returns an abducted child to the man who abducted her in the first place?
- Takes forever and six days to report their daughter missing?
So after all of this, all I can say that while this is not a great documentary, it is one of the most insane you will ever see. I have so many issues with what I have watched, and have no way to review this other than WHAT THE FUCK?! So much crap going on everywhere. This is no Bundy tapes, or Paradise Lost or anything like that. But it is a crazy viewing experience. My husband thought I was watching one thing, and then when it got to the bit on Berchtold manipulating Jan with aliens, he thought it was another show completely and that I was indulging my inner Fox Mulder. Har har.
And I know it’s bad, but there is also the legitimacy issue. As in, the only people in this whole documentary are the family, and one stray FBI agent. No reporters. No cops. No psychologists, teachers, friends, agents, anything. So no, that doesn’t lend much to truth in my mind. I’m not saying it didn’t happen (obviously shit went down), I’m just saying it’s a bit sketchy. Maybe I am just fussy? Need more critical examination? Don’t know. It was just… too bizarre.
Anyway. WHAT THE FUCK?!