CRAZY STUPID LOVE_COMBO BD (1000250398).indd

“I have loved her even when I hated her… only married couples’ll understand that one…”
– Cal Weaver

SYNOPSIS: A middle-aged husband’s life changes dramatically when his wife asks him for a divorce. He seeks to rediscover his manhood with the help of a newfound friend, Jacob, learning to pick up girls at bars. – via IMDB

You know, the more I watch this movie, the more I enjoy it. I watched this years ago at the behest of Natasha, who knows I cannot really stand rom-coms, but does know what type I can deal with. When she told me to check this out, I figured why not? She won’t just recommend me anything in this genre, so it had to be decent. Plus two, the cast is fantastic. Let me tell you, this movie is great, and I grow constantly more fond of it. It is just so much fun.

I enjoyed that this was not some stupid, soppy, desperate love story. This looked at people who have lives that fall apart – midlife crises that aren’t dealt with, cheating, insecurities, all of it. It explores embracing yourself, letting other people in, dealing with issues head on, so many things. I enjoyed the themes of this movie. And yes, love is an extremely prominent theme, but it does not make you want to retch, so that is a good thing! Crazy, Stupid, Love knows what it is and what it wants to be, and goes with it. It is smart, funny, witty, and sweet, and I appreciated all those things.

Let us not even remotely forget the cast. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are absolutely phenomenal here, and have ridiculously amazing chemistry. Really, I could watch them all day together. This is one of two movies where Steve Carell does not grate on my last nerve, and Julianne Moore is, as always, well worth the watch. Kevin Bacon’s moments were also those of pure entertainment, especially as the movie progresses. What a boring man! Also, everyone worked well together. I particularly appreciated Jacob taking Cal out to begin their main training. Oh boy!

There were plenty awkward moments, plenty funny and plenty sweet, but everything works. This is the kind of romantic movie I can revisit without feeling just plain down ridiculous. There is a lot to like about it, and a movie you can get away with watching with your other half without them wanting to slit their wrists. As you can tell, I quite like this one for a variety of reasons, and I can highly recommend it.

Oooh, oooh, before I go. Women across the globe will thank Hannah for not letting him put his shirt back on after assessing his Photoshopped beauty. For science…

Skip the trailer, just go straight to the movie.

41 thoughts on “Review: Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

1. elina says:

I really LOVED this film, definitely a 9/10 or something alike. Stone and Gosling have amazing chemistry and the story was sweet AND the “it’s like you’re photoshopped!” line always gets me. Hmm. I want to watch it again now.

This was a fantastic film, I must say I had a good time with it. Those two really just work wonders together. You should go watch it again!

2. Mark Walker says:

Great review Zoe. I totally agree. This isn’t normally my type of genre but I did have some fun with it. The characters were interesting and the humour flowed well.

Thanks Mark! I am glad to hear that this isn’t strictly reserved for just the ladies. My other half watched most of it with me and while not necessarily in love with it, he was not itching to get out of his seat and run!

1. Mark Walker says:

That kinda echoes my thoughts too. I thought Gosling was great as usual and Marisa Tomei was hoot.

Gosling made me laugh a lot in here, and the scene at school with Tomei? Classic!

Eh… I thought this one was okay as rom coms go but I still got a bit bored. I think it’s over rated.

This is probably another reason I love living in SA… it’s so cut off sometimes 😛

4. alexraphael says:

What’s wrong with Steve Carrell?!

He irritates the hell out of me haha!

5. CMrok93 says:

A little too uneven for me. Sure, all of the performances were great, but by the end, everything felt like it came to head in an unbelievable manner. Good review Zoe.

Thanks Dan! Sorry to hear you didn’t like this as much!

6. lukebbtt says:

This is the kind of rom-com that just easily knocks every other film of the genre to one side. I would recommend it.

🙂 I am glad we are in agreement then Luke!

So, by the way, when is the next question of the month?

1. lukebbtt says:

Emailing you later.

Yessssss!

7. lauren says:

Good review. Gosling and Stone had great chemistry but I wish there was more scenes of them rather than focusing so much on Steve Carrell’s character. I also found Julianne Moore’s character a bit annoying, although her comments on the Twilight film made me laugh.

They were really good together, and definitely worth watching. Yeah, she was a bit self centred and all that, but she worked for what she had to do. Oh yes, that was entertaining!

8. I wasn’t expecting much from this so I was really surprised when I actually quite liked it! I think it proves that Gosling has more in his locker than just being brooding. Great review Zoe!

Thanks a lot Chris! I was so sceptical about this… I really, really dislike rom coms, but my best friend was insistent so I went in expecting mush and cheese and I was pleasantly surprised! It’s good to see that this appealed to more than just the ladies! Gosling definitely has a bit more to bring out!

9. thomasjford says:

I really really like this movie. As Rom-Com’s go, this is the pick of the bunch. And that’s tough for me to say being such a huge McConaughey fan!

😀 I am thrilled to hear that! This movie was definitely worth the watch and it is awesome!

10. thomasjford says:

And I’m with you, one of Steve Carrell’s only non-annoying roles I think!

YAY! So I am not alone in thinking he is annoying!

1. thomasjford says:

Two words for you Brick Tambling. Aghhhh

Dearest JB,

Good stuff but I doubt I’ll ever see this one. I actually kind of like Carrell when he’s not screaming. So maybe 25% of his stuff 🙂

Chop

My Chop,

I think you might get a ridiculous giggle here and there at the very least if you check this out. He isn’t screaming, if that counts for anything?

Love always,

12. Seen bits and pieces of this but never the full thing. I do love all the actors involved though, maybe I’ll give it a go :). Terrific post, Zoe!

Thanks Joseph! You should give it a shot, it is entertaining at the very least!

“displays the second role I have seen Steve Carell in that did not get under my skin.” – what’s the other role? I’m guessing The Way Way Back…

Nice review! In agreement on this one – I seem to have liked it about the same amount that you did. : )

Yes, you would guess correctly hahahaha!

🙂 I am glad to hear that! I had fun with this and liked the humour!

I haven’t seen this since it was in theaters, but I remember thinking it was just great. Definitely a cut above most rom coms. Nice review, lady!

Thank you! I definitely had fun with this one!

YAAAY! I love this film so much. We were all thanking Hannah for her disregard of his modesty. One of my favorite romantic comedies by far, and not soppy at all.

xD Indeed we were! Definitely a great little film! Thanks for making me check it out!

16. Gah, I could watch Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling together all day. This is my all-time favourite romcom and the ONLY romcom I can not only get my husband to watch with me, but every year on Valentine’s Day. I like my weird traditions, haha!

They are simply perfect together! Oooooh, look at that! I think it’s an awesome tradition!

🙂 So fun.