What I liked:
- Everyone getting together to drink on Katherine “dying”. Even though the bitch avoided it (again), it was really hilarious to watch everyone drinking for all the wrongs she had inflicted on them.
- Elena and Damon finally getting more warm screen time (I complained last season that, while together, it was really not as great as when Stefan and Elena were together). It gets better though, and gosh, I have been waiting for this. So long because they have amazing chemistry together.
- Stefan and Caroline getting closer. I really like this, there is so much potential. But he still isn’t Klaus. Just saying.
- Caroline and Klaus finally, just that once, dropping all defenses. I was beyond thrilled, let me just tell you this! Like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! Oh my gosh, and it was hot, too! Just seeing them (however briefly) give into their lust was so worth waiting for.
- Luke. I like him more than Liv, though she gets more screen time, unfortunately. Oh well. I think he is sassy and super cool. I hope we see more of him soon.
- Damon Salvatore. Yes. Again. That guy just owns every season, really. He went from perfectly happy, to absolutely crushed (how much pain and suffering can one dude endure?!), to vindictive and deadly. Typical Damon, and it was awesome to watch.
- Damon and Enzo. This has the potential to be such a great friendship, albeit complicated. I quite like Enzo – he is an enigma, and just does what he wants.
- Bonnie and Jeremy kicking it together. I think these two are great together, I do, and when they finally got to their, uhm, intimate time? It was perfect. Really.
What I didn’t like:
- Katherine. Katherine. Katherine. That chick peeves the hell out of me, and now I had to spend such a chunk of the season watching her. Ugh.
- This season struggled a bit with finding its feet – introducing college, a new doppelganger theory, the Augustine section, bringing Bonnie back, the whole katoot was just a bit crazy. The show lacked any real, serious direction.
- This whole “doppelganger destiny for life” concept is getting really old and really boring. I am so over hearing about how Elena and Stefan are simply destined to be, and that is just how it is going to be.
- With all this drama going down with the Travelers working to undo witch magic, where were the Originals? Don’t tell me that they didn’t have a vested interest in surviving?
- Not really any Klaus. I miss Klaus. So much.
Yeah, this season, this season that was all over the show and had ten million stories going, ten million plots, all simultaneously. I was not happy about Bonnie being a ghost, I do like the girl a lot, and it was so sad to see her with just Jeremy, and how much it hurt him, and I was so pleased when they finally brought her back, even though that meant she was the anchor to the Other Side, and that brought a whole new set of irritations with it. Then there was the whole Silas/Qetsiyah story arc that just irritated me. Get to the damn point already, and move on. That took up time. Let us then not forget about the Travelers (not even for one moment), and how that turned into a whole thing of Katherine Pearce taking over Elena’s body, and becoming a vampire again (let’s face it, her being human got old quickly, and she was still irritating as heck). There was the inevitable heartbreak of Damon, because, you know, let’s constantly just crush the man. Naturally that led to Damon being Damon and going dark side and crazy, cause it is just what he does. I still miss Alaric a lot, and I was not pleased with how little Klaus there was this season. I miss seeing him and Caroline together 😦 Sad me. BUT LET US JUST TALK ABOUT KLAUS AND CAROLINE AND THE YUMMY FOR JUST A MINUTE! I can’t help it. It has been driving me crazy since season three. Gosh, it was rewarding to see Klaus and Caroline drop their inhibitions for a few moments. I need more now though. For reals. Tyler is treating Caroline like a real dweeb, and that isn’t cool. I did miss Klaus in this season, but it is also good to see the show finding its own feet again, with its own villains, etc. and moving away from the Originals a bit. Okay, then I must also say, Bonnie coming back and kicking it with Jeremy again? Love. Bonnie and Jeremy getting… intimate the first time? Hot. I am going to say it. There, it’s out. The end was also getting a little outrageous, what with the promise of bringing everyone back, and I was not pleased about Bonnie being in the crosshairs yet again. It crushed me in the end when Bonnie called Jeremy, and he came screaming into the woods looking for her, and Damon getting stuck on the other side, and how that completely crushed Elena. Really, that last bit was awful to watch 😦